From Joan Miró’s notebook:
- Remain a self-taught amateur as for technique – that way I will do lovely work.
- Put tin cookie boxes in front of me and, looking at the shapes suggested by the imperfections and reflections, draw them almost automatically on the metal, using a magnetic needle.
- Inscribe magic signs on bones and wood.
- Pyrograph pumpkins, which have first been painted with white tempera, and once they are drawn, add a little colour.
- Think about William Blake when doing the self-portrait.
- Always have the Bible open when I am sculpting; that will give me a sense of grandeur and of gestation of the world.
Image: © Anibal Trejo | Dreamstime.com